Thursday, February 1, 2007

What a day!



It is 9:30pm and i am sitting in the business center of our new hotel in Guangzhou. This is the most amazing day of our lives! We finally have our little girl. It has been such a special day for us. Just imagine delivering your baby at the exact same time as 20 of your friends in the same room after waiting for two years together... it was amazing!!

Let me start at the beginning... We all woke up by 2 am or didnt sleep last night. We had phone calls starting at 4am this morning throughout the rooms. Everybody was up and everyone was incredibly excited. We all packed last night and had our bags picked up so all that was left was our carry on and we forgot half the stuff we needed. We ate breakfast in the dark in the restaurant of the hotel in twenty minutes. The restaurant opened at 6am and we were leaving for the airport at 6:20am. On top of that, four families had just joined us so we had to catch up and wish each other well over a wolfed down breakfast anticipating that we would not eat again until late in the evening. We made our way to and through the airport and flew to Guangzhou landing at 12pm. Everyones bags made it (whew!), and we packed up and drove into the heart of Guangzhou to our hotel to freshen up and pick up the Chin family that were meeting us here after a few days in their first daughters province visiting. What a difference between Bejing and Guangzhou. Bejing with its wide avenues and orderly presentation. Guangzhou is quite old with its collection of high rise buildings- the highway, added later, winds through the buildings and you can almost reach out and touch peoples laundry hanging outside their windows. We arrived and in ten minutes, quickly reshuffled our bags and met to get back in the bus and head to the Civil Affairs office. We had a 2:30 appointment and the nannies had driven an hour from Foshan to meet us! We arrived at the office, went to the fifth floor, were shown to a boardroom style room where we waited. We did some small paperwork and reviewed the order in which the babies would be brought in. Of course the babies were brought in completely out of order and everyone was surprised to find out as their baby was brought in. We had arranged with Donna and Avery to be film buddies and not let the special moment go untaped. And thank goodness. We waited patiently only to have our baby brought last. Cute baby after cute baby brought in, we hoped they wouldnt run out! (ha ha) And saving the best for last, our little cutie finally arrived. Poor little Hailey had thrown up on the bus from Foshan and was not feeling well. On top of that we found out that she does not like loudness and she completely shut down. She was handed to Alex by the nanny and cuddled up close. What a great moment, what a wait for that great moment. It was so worth it. And to my surprise, our friends were all at the ready with cameras flashing capturing the moment with photo and video. And where do you ask are these special photos? Well, you will have to wait a little longer unless Deb posted our photo on her blog. The computer here does not accept my camera so i am unable to upload. Sorry guys, my storry will have to do for now. We had a chance to ask the nanny some questions with the help of our terrific guide Shirly and found out that her nickname is "Man, Man" which we understood to be quite common before travelling and had expected. We found out that she is quite attached to one of the nannies- that we didnt meet but hope to meet later at our visit to the orphanage. We paid our donations without incident and had to get moving quickly back to the hotel. We arrived back at the hotel and changed rooms to get one with a bath. The rooms here are incredible, spacious and modern. They wheeled in our crib and all is right with the world. I ordered some Congee from Room Service to make the bottle and then had to go back down to complete some paperwork while Alex fed the first bottle. Hailey wolfed it down and then cuddled in and fell into sleep. We ordered some room service food and finally ate for the first time since 6am at 8:30pm. We then woke Hailey up to feed her last bottle, which she sucked back in like 3 minutes flat. I left her and mommy falling asleep on the bed to come down and write this blog.

Favourite moments of the day: First time holding and snuggling her. She does this ET thing where she pokes a fingertip at the end of one of my fingertips and presses hard to see who will win- she is strong. She started waving to me soon after we arrived at the room with one hand.

We are back off to the Civil Affairs office first thing tomorrow to fill in more paperwork and then off to a local supermarket to pick up more formula, strollers, and other necessities. Everybody is so great and helpful both in Bejing and Guangzhou. We are really like sheep following the pack. They make everything so easy and answer the dumbest questions with seriousness.

Alex and i are in love again (not with each other of course) and we are walking on a cloud. Sorry again about the photos. She does look very much like the referral photos, only larger. She actually is a little porker, we dont expect some of our 6-12 month stuff to fit, she is bigger than we thought and has a little chubba. She is so sweet and terrific, i could go on and on, but i should probably go back up as i miss her already.

We wish we could come home right away, but are looking forward to exploring parenthood here and seeing more of the city that she might have called home, or might in the future.

We miss you all and we love checking the blog. I was blown away to see 15 posts today! Thanks for the love and support. Love Jason & Alex. (ma ma, and ba ba)

39 comments:

Grandma said...

Good Morning or Evening where you are. We are all anxiously awaiting some news. Imagine that you are so caught up with the new little love of your lives that blogging is the last thing on your minds. I was up pacing in the middle of the night thinking of you and your incredible journey. Much love and huge hugs to all 3 of you.

Paula Stewart said...

I couldn't sleep last night either! (yawn) I can't wait to hear how it went! I live for your next post...

Grandma said...

Congratulations Mom, Dad & Hailey on the beginning of your next big adventure together. I will wait patiently for pictures but have to tell you that your description of the event was very moving and heartwarming. I couldn't be more proud of the two of you and can't wait to have you back home with us to share in this excitement. Love & more big hugs to all of you.

Erin said...

Wow! What an amazing story. I'm so happy that your "gotcha day" was so special. I can't wait to see photos. I'm proud of you for not flinching over the throwing up incident! Welcome to parenthood.
Love to all of you,
Auntie Erin, Avery & Ewan
xoxo

Robyn, James, Lauren, and Graham said...

What a beautiful story. Another day of bawling in our office - our Employee Relations director happened to stroll by and she thought something was wrong! I showed her your post and she cried right alonside me! Congrats, guys. Sounds like it's all come together perfectly. Can't wait to see all 3 of you soon. Enjoy every minute.
love you!
Robyn xoxo

Lynda said...

I am so happy for you both, I can not stop crying.... I did not sleep last night either.... Oh ya I was at work!!LOL
I love the three of you very much and can not wait to see the pics!
Love Auntie Lynda

auntie darlene said...

Had to take a minute and dry my eyes and blow my nose after reading your post. Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us all. Can't wait for pictures. Love to all

Unknown said...

Holy *(&(*%$!!! I can't put two words together I'm so excited for you guys. I"m in tears here. I was at the office late last night, and you're all I thought about. Hurry back. We can't wait to see all three of you.

Luv uncle Jerry xo

Paula Stewart said...

Love you guys! Thanks for taking time to share your wonderful experience. HUGS for Hailey. TODAY IS THE BEST DAY EVER!

Paula said...

I am so happy to hear I'm not the only one with tears rolling down their face.
What an incredible journey! Enjoy the newest member of your family.

Much love,

Paula Pizza/Prime Rib
:o)

John J. Stewart said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
John J. Stewart said...

Thanks for all of the wonderful insight as to your amazing day, it really makes me (as well as others I'm sure) feel I'm right there with you sharing each moment. What a great day!

Dawn said...

What an amazing day you had. Congratulations! I can't wait to hear more about your journey and see some pictures. Enjoy every little moment with your beautiful daughter. Love to all of you.

Mr. & Mrs..... said...

Congratulations! Welcome precious "Man, Man". Jason I met you at Loblaws with Paula last summer. My husband and I have been following your story vicariously through her. We are TTC, but through your story you have touched our hearts, and opened a whole new world of wonderful opportunities! We are so excited for you both, and you have inspired us and shown us that LOVE can be more precious then we ever imagined. We can't wait to hear more, and could barely sleep talking about your journey last night... and like everyone's whose lives you've touched... I too am distracted at work! LOL Sending our best wishes to you and Alex and your baby Hailey. <3

Unknown said...

Congratulations Mom & Dad, it is amazing!!! God bless you all, thank you for sharing those wonderful moments with us . I am so happy for you guys, it is like a dream come true. Love for you all,

Anne-Marie said...

Amazing! Dagmar and I can't stop crying. Boy, can Jason write! We are SO happy for you all and can't wait to meet Hailey. The image of the 3 of you cuddling and enjoying one another is foremost in my mind. Love, Anne-Marie, Nikolas & Marko

Jo-Anne Lianza said...

Your message/announcement brings tears to my eyes and reminds me why I chose to have 4 children. They are truly a blessing and a gift from GOD. Congratulations and I can't wait to see the pictures. Have a safe journey home.

dagscott said...

I don't even know what to say I am so overwhelmed with joy for the three of you. Alex the thought of you snuggling with your little girl makes me so happy. Jason your story is beautiful and your words made the experience come alive for all of us reading it. It's wonderful of you to share your new family experiences with us. I very much look forward to all the updates over the next 2 weeks. Get that camera thing happening. I can't wait to see a pic of the three of you together.
Lots of Love,
D.

Unknown said...

Congratulations! Bob and I are thrilled for you. There is nothing as rewarding or exciting than the role of parent (unless it's grandparent!).

Best wishes, and anxious to meet Hailey.

Lee and Bob

KP said...

Hi Mommy and Daddy,

Congratulations! We are so happy for the three of you. Thank you for sharing your special day and happy memories with us. We can't wait to see your most recent pictures. We don't know who is the more lucky, you guys, or sweet little Hailey. We wish you all the best on this very special day.

Love Jennifer, Ken, Colin & Liam XO

KP said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jean said...

Hi Mom and Dad/Alex and Jason, delighted to hear that your dreams have now come true. I can feel the excitement in your posts. Jennifer let us know today. Looking forward to seeing more photos.

Love Jean and Ken

Lauri, Brian and kids said...

Hello
Thanks for sharing your most special day with us. I am sitting here with tears running down my face. I am so proud of both of you and feel so privileged to be able to share in this wonderful event in your lives. We can't wait to meet "Miss Hailey" and are thinking of all 3 of you everyday.
Love and hugs to all 3 of you.

Anonymous said...

Tears of joy here. Thank you SO, SO much for updating, Jason.

Congratulations to you all and welcome Hailey. Sending all our love...

Tracey, Chris, River

Joan & Tom said...

Congratulations to you both.Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful, emotional story of your first day with your little Hailey.We could just picture Alex feeding her and laying with her in bed. Have enjoyed your pictures so far of your trip and look forward to seeing some of Hailey.
Love to all !

Maple Leaf Sikh said...

Reading your story just reconfirms how lucky Hailey is to have found such loving parents. Thanks for sharing your journey with us all. Have a safe trip back.

The Carmodys said...

Congratulations again guys. You're right she sure is a cutie patootie - and we've seen her live! Having a great time with you all and looking forward to the rest of our trip together.

Your travel mates down the hall . .

Mike, Karen and Samara

The Carmodys said...

P.S. The place to sign in so that blogger is in English is blogger.com/?hl=en

k

dagscott said...

Hey everybody there's a picture of Alex, Jason and beautiful little Hailey on the "welcomeolivia" blog. Just click the link on Hailey's page.
Alex & Jason - she is gorgeous. Congratulations! We are all so happy for you.
Lots of Love,
D.

Paula said...

Jason and Alex,

Just saw the picture of the 3 of you on http://bringinghomeolivia.blogspot.com/ She is too beautiful. You look incredibly happy. Congratulations!!!!! I'm so thrilled for you both. Please congratulate the rest of the families. The pictures of all of you with your new babies are incredible. Words cannot express...

Unknown said...

We have been thinking about you guys all week. Congratulations!! Isn't it wonderful to finally meet your beautiful little angel. Enjoy the rest of your journey.

Love
Great auntie Carol

Dave, Lisa
Caitlin & Calum

auntie darlene said...

Just saw the picture of you with Hailey. What a beautiful family. Thinking of you all. Much love.

Joanne said...

Oh my goodness, I'm here at work with tears running down my face because I am so happy for you! Congratulations, I hope you journey continues to bring you as much joy as I felt reading your blog.

Good Luck, I can't wait to see your new and improved family.

Lots of Love.
Joanne Quinn and Family

DaveS said...

Yahooo! Man she is a cutie! There are a couple of folks looking at my computer right now and we are all smiling!!! Enjoy and get more pictures up!!

Kevin Hemsworth said...

Sorry about the delay in getting at this post...as you know I'm overseas and haven't has the kind of internet access I'm used to. She is adorable...I can't wait to get her in my arms for some Uncle Kevin cuddle time, and to get her skating on the backyard rink with Avery & Ewan. How much will she love Avery 'hoking her nittle fingies' and Ewan tackling her...poor girl. Get home safe...can't wait.

SoccerDad said...

Congratulations to the proud new parents, and most importantly to the beautiful little girl Hailey. You are a loved little girl with so much to look forward to in life. I am sure your parents will do everything they can to show you how beautiful life can be.
We are very excited about meeting you and hearing all about your travels.
Have a safe trip back, hopefully Jason hasn't scheduled all the one to one time and that New Mom Alex has plenty as well.
From Merry Olde England,
See you soon,
Eric

bevandgarf said...

We are so happy for you guys! The pictures are great...I couldn't read the whole thing at work because I was getting all emotional.

Can't wait until you get back and we can meet Hailey.

Love Beverley, Garfield and Thomas

Michelle & Rob said...

Congratulations Jason,Alex and Hailey! You guys look so happy together! Thanks for sharing your wonderful adventure with us. We love reading the updates and can't wait to meet your little princess.

Love from,
Michelle and Rob

jill said...

Little Heiley,

I feel so happy for you as the God has brought you to such wonderful dad and mom.

I am a colleague of your mom. I was little concerned about her trip prior to departure because I am not sure if China would make your parents feel comfortable to stay as it is such a different country from Canada, maybe a lot "surprises" for them. However, now I know you Mom and Dad have been the greatest in going through all the journey. I guess that is because they have the greatest love for you, for the world in general, and for the brilliant new life ahead of your three.

By the way, anytime you feel like speaking Chinese, please let me know. Wish you and family all the best.

I guess you will read these notes only when you've learned to read. Anyway, I can wait.

Auntie Jill